Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Best Invention Ever.

No question about it. DirecTV has come up with the best creation in the history of sports. If I wasn't going to be in Florida (Woo! Spring Break!) when March Madness starts, I would put serious thought into purchasing this. In case you haven't heard or seen this, DirecTV's coverage of the opening rounds will let you have a 4-way split screen of 3 games (there are never 4 games going at once, ha! brilliant!) which means that the 4th screen will probably be running scores or highlights. I am obsessed with March Madness. It is, without question, the best format for anything in any level of sports - except maybe high school football, which is only high in consideration because high school football is so awesome. Anyway, back to the point. 3 games at one time; which means not having to flip back and forth between CBS and whoever their affiliate may be at that given moment; which means being able to gamble 3 game parlays and watch them all unfold in exactly the way you dont want them to...all at one time! It also would allow for idiots like me to spend the final traces of cash from their wallets to be able to skip classes to watch the greatest spectacle (also the most aptly named event) in the sports world today.
Obviously, I'm broke. not to mention I'll be in FLA when it starts so I won't be purchasing, but this also means I won't even have to skip class to watch the games, which is nice...considering I was bold enough to skip classses in high school to watch the games, but I digress. The real important thing to discuss now is that I'm a self-proclaimed guru of college basketball this year, and I'm gonna tell you right now who the final 4 will be...assuming that these 4 teams are all in different regions going in, which I obviously have zero clue about. Anyway, on to the picks!
Duke and Uconn will make the final 4, no question about it. Here's why:
JJ Redick is insane. Hate him or love him, the guy could hit a three with a naked girl straddling his face, let alone with a hand there. No one will be able to man up on Shelden Williams 1on1, and if they don't, he'll kick it out to JJ or Dockery to lace a no-question 3.
Uconn will make it because they have the best 6 in the nation. With Hilton Armstrong, Josh Boone, and Jeff Adrien in the post, even Shelden Williams won't know what to do. Not to mention that Marcus Williams had a freakin triple double last night (in regulation, even though the game ended up in OT) to go along with Rudy Gay (who should be a Naismith candidate based purely on athletic ability) and that other guy who rounds out their big 6.
Wow...i can't think of who else I think will make it, I'm looking at a list of the top 25 teams and I really don't know who's gonna be in, so here's what I'll do.
Gonzaga will not make the final 4. Morrison can't keep shooting like 45234 times a game and expect them to beat major teams in the tourney, they'll make the sweet 16 and lose because Morrison won't give it inside to Batista (the real stud on that team).
WVU will not make it. Basically because I hate that team.
Nova will not make it unless they are a 2 seed. Don't question me, I know this stuff. 4 1 seeds won't make it, but I think Nova can make it from a 2 seed, which they'll get after they lose to UConn this week and then again the following week to someone who won't matter.
Finally, the last team to make it (since I guess Nova was a pick) will be a stunner. The winner of Texas/Kansas this week will make the final 4. If Kansas wins (they've been over-acheiving all year, putting together this year's best Cinderella story...and I always pick them anyway), they'll jump up 3 or 4 spots in the rankings, which should warrant them a 3 or 4 seed in the tourney, which as you all know is a dangerous spot. If Texas wins (especially if they win tonight vs. K-State), they'll be 24-4 and coming off of an ass-kicking by OK ST, which won't be sitting well. therefore, whoever wins that game on saturday will have a helluva lot of momentum heading into the final week or 2 of the season.
That's all I have for now, in a couple days I'll post about my sleepers and who I think will be a big surprise - besides Kansas.
Until next time, Go Cavs, Browns, and Tribe!

7 comments:

Ryan said...

The 6th guy on UCONN is Denham Brown.

and don't forget about the conference tournaments, they pick the seeds after that.

Jeff said...

watching 3 games at once is still possible, if you have a TV and two computers. March Madness on Demand will be available for free online this year. in the past you had to pay for it, or trick someone who did pay for it into giving you their password.

Jeff said...

also, you need to change your blogger name. i think it's confusingly similar to mine.

NyeK said...

why should i have to change, you're the one who sucks.

Jeff said...

i may suck, but i'm also older and used the name here first. do you want me to spit law school crap at you about this? because i totally can.

NyeK said...

ha! you posted that at 6:50 a.m.! that sucks!

Jeff said...

actually, it was probably more like 8:50 or 9:50, and you have your time zone set incorrectly. but was i up at 6:50? yes. the dog wakes me up about 6:30 to play and eat.