Monday, November 06, 2006

Inspiration

You loyal readers may recall that I made a motivational post preaching the point that if you quit when you're tired, you'll never get any better.
That's still true.
But I'm here today to talk on a different - but related - subject.
It's time for a little story about why I am the way I am.

As you probably know, I'm not exactly the type of guy who does something because other people do it. It's not that I'm an attention-whore and trying to get people to notice me because I'm different...it's not that I have a vendetta against people who do things that I don't do...it's none of that.
Basically, the reason that I am how I am - that being why I don't drink, don't smoke, don't do stuff that people tell me to do just because they do it - is because of a simple lesson that I managed to conjure up from my own life's experience.
It comes down to the fact that someone's always watching.
See, people ask me all the time why I don't drink, and I always have different answers: I've made up stories, I've exaggerated truths, I've tried simple reasoning, I've done it all...but the best way I can explain it is that someone is always watching.
In case you didn't know, I've got myself 2 older brothers who totally kick ass. The whole time they were growing up, I was right behind them by 5ish years - watching everything they did...desperately wishing I was their age and got to drive and do cool stuff whenever I wanted. Basically, my brothers and their friends were my heroes - and I always noticed that they were really good role models (hard not to notice when you are practically stalking them). I started to think about why that could have been, and thought that maybe it had something to do with me. I don't want to make any bold statements like this, but I took that and formed my own opinion.
During high school, you quite obviously will start to experience some new things and get into new types of situations...and every time I was faced with one of these decisions, I'd always do what I thought would be the right thing because deep down I knew that someone was watching. Somewhere out there, someone would know and it would let them down. I remember a conversation with Coach Rosati about it early on in my high school days about how by being a part of the football team, you take on a role model status for all of those little kids who play lions club through middle school football.
The thought of letting down people who look up to you was and still is something I could/can never get over. I guess the reason I thought of all this is because of the unusual situation on Saturday night where I was at a party with mostly juniors in high school - a couple of which were worth seeing. One of whom was talking about looking up to guys like myself and the other guys in my grade...hearing things like that make you realize that whether or not you were thinking about it - those guys were watching. Further proof and further bolstering of my beliefs and practices.
Iduno, I just felt like motivating a little bit...deep down, someone's always watching
watching, judging, smiling, hi honey, look at the baby, look at the baby.
Seriously though, there's always someone who knows, and sometimes the littlest things stick with people. Tiny snippets that seem insignificant to you can make all the difference in the world to someone else.

A motivational quote that fits nicely right here, courtesy of Lou Cirino: "Never, if possible, lie down at night without being able to say: I made one human being, at least a little wiser, a little happier, or a little better this day."


That's all I have right now, I promise next time will be funnier.
Adieu.

No comments: