Monday, May 08, 2006

David Blaine: Drowned Alive

What the hell did I just waste that portion of my life for? If roomie Hop hadn't flipped it on, I surely would have forgotten about it - and that would have been fine by me. Seriously, what possesses this man to do the things he does?
It wasn't even a magic trick this time, it was staying underwater for 9 minutes and removing 8 sets of handcuffs off of his body in the process...oh yeah, and he had spent the previous week underwater in the damn sphere. Anyway, he didn't make it...lasted 7 minutes and 8 seconds. So let me ask ya this; what was the purpose here? If you said "it's a publicity stunt because this guy is absolutely retarded" then you were seemingly correct. The reason that I was slightly intrigued was because they said he'd either "break the record, or die trying." I've never seen someone die - let alone on national television, so how could I not have a slight interest? Neither of these things happened; he came out of the water convulsing, but still fully conscious. Stu Scott - yes, the Disney Corporation has him by a leash - tried to pawn it off by saying that we're seeing a little bit of magic from the fact that Blaine could actually walk after being underwater for a week...woopti-freaking-doo.
Damn it, I wasted 7+ minutes watching him underwater, plus 3 minutes pre-submergence, plus 5 minutes post-emergence for a grand total of over 15 minutes of my life that I want back because nothing happened other than a man running out of breath.
I hate you David Blaine.
Go chill in a block of ice over Times Square or something.

I'm angry

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Yeah, what a stiff. At least when someone like evil knievel, or the son robbie, does something on national tv, at least they get hurt. Like wehn robbie broke like every bone in his body jumping the grand canyon, that was awesome.

Jeff said...

I gather from the title that you also saw that Stu Scott commercial where he said something like "Will David Blaine make it out, or will he be drowned alive?!" 'Drowned alive'? Is there any other way to drown? Can you be drowned once you're dead? I need more information here.

NyeK said...

good point; so much about this didn't fit the billing/hype. not only that, it flat out sucked - very disappointing stuff.