Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Life's little pleasures.

Upon my departure from that other school I went to, I realized that I'd miss some little things...such as the handicap-accessible shower on Russel 2nd floor, despite the fact that there were no wheel-chair ramps or elevators to get to the 2nd floor.
So imagine the flood of emotions that came over me today when I left my philosophy class (which was messed up, for what it's worth) and walked past a building - the name of which I do not know - and saw the following setup.
A set of cement stairs, roughly 8 inches high per stair, 6 steps, with a hand-rail on each side, the stairs roughly 4 feet wide. Perhaps a touch wider than that because I'd say 2 people could walk side by side up these stairs. On the outside of the rails, there were bushes, just to make sure there was no other way of getting to the top of these stairs. Now, at the top of the stairs was a door: a very standard door, much like a front door of a house. A single door, wooden, perhaps, with a simple handle...nothing unusual about the door.
Ready for the clincher?
On the left side of the door, at the top of the stairs was the old fail-safe...the Wheel-chair Accessible, "Push to Open" button.
I'll let that one sink in for a minute. In fact, go back and read it again, make sure you got that...at the top of the stairs...on the brick-wall side of the building, less than 3 feet from the door itself...right there, perched on the wall, was the most unbelievable thing I'd seen in ages.

Boy...I guess it's true what they say, the best things in life really are free.

No comments: