Friday, March 03, 2006

Cavs ended the skid!

I'll cover more than that, but that's where we start today. As we speak, I'm talking to Ryan about the finish of last night's game. First, they suck and completely blew a huge lead, that was piss-poor. Second, they didn't completely blow it since they ended up winning, and that's where this thing's gonna get interesting. Roughly 20 seconds left and Bron drives, draws like 40 defenders and flicks to Anderson Varejao for a 10 footer, during which Andy gets fouled. Needless to say, 4th quarter = 2 bricked FTs. Cavs stay down 2. At this point, Reggie Miller says that LeBron needs to be more selfish and go for it in these situations...take note of that because roughly 10 seconds later, the clock is ticking down inside 10 and Bron is bringing it up the court with the Cavs down 2. He starts to drive, draws a double team in a crowded lane and kicks to Flip Murray for the wide open 3 in the corner. Net. 3. Win. p.s. fuck you Reggie Miller, I hate you. As Joe Lubelski's away message read after the game "Fuck Reggie Miller, that's why you never won a championship you selfish asshole." and so on.
Here's the nay-sayer's point of view, and by "nay-sayer" I mean "Ryan's argument." The argument is that LeBron really should man up and want the ball in his hands come crunch-time. Furthermore, his track record shows that he is 4-21 in his career with game-tying or winning shots in the final seconds. While that does deserve note, I think it's important to realize that Bron is merely 21 years old...at which point MJ (God, whatever you wanna call him), had yet to play in an NBA game, let alone be the "youngest player to..." do everything in NBA history - and yes, that was nearly a direct quote from our conversation. Furthermore, I have no problem with him passing to an open 3 (even if Flip woulda missed it) instead of forcing up a terrible shot in traffic and solidifying the loss. Ryan went on to say that it's not so much that he has a bad track record in these situations, it's more that it doesn't seem like he wants to take the shot anymore...which is debatable. However, since I have no way of contacting Bron on the subject, I think that's pretty much up for grabs.
Anyway, Duke choked hard vs. FSU. Redick has been playing like he did against Jensen in the game we played in the driveway last week (see Home Kicks Ass post...that is, scroll down). I manned up on Morrison that game, or else I, myself would take credit in shutting down JJ. But anyway, Memphis lost last night, which is just as well because I've never seen this team in my life. In fact, I don't think they exist - this is an ESPN/NCAA conspiracy that has been put in place just to try to shake things up a bit - and ya know what? it's working. The Dragons of UAB needed the lift of "beating the #3 team in the country" - very clever, I think. Everyone wants to see Dragons in the tourney, and they just needed a few strings pulled, that's all. Anyway, I'm just killing time here, uhh, I really got nothin else, I'll post again in a few days, and I promise, it'll be way funnier than this shit-show.
oh yeah, the Tribe started yesterday and beat the Astros...that's cool, Ronnie Belliard homered, which means that he's on pace to hit 162 in the regular season - not counting the 28 exhibition games (and he might be in the WBC, I don't know). It also means that the Tribe is on pace to win 162 regular season games, pretty sweet there.
As always, go Browns, Cavs, and Tribe!

editor's note, by time of publication, I'm pretty sure the Tribe has already lost today to those same Houston Astros, but I'm way too lazy to check.

6 comments:

Ryan said...

Yeah, the Tribe got slammed today 11-5. C.C. got shelled, big time. On a bright note though Jhonny went yard.

Jeff said...

Wait a tic -- when LeBron was first coming out, wasn't the single thing that everyone loved most about him his ability/willingness to find open teammates and get them involved? (OK, that's not really one thing. Blow me.) And now we're complaining that he's not doing that enough? Come on. I'm all for finding the open teammate, as long as it's not Ira Newble.

Jeff said...

Oh, by the way, I guess CC was right about not being ready for the WBC, wasn't he? I guess it's good that he got out and has some time to work on this whole "pitching" thing.

Ryan said...

Yes, LBJ's passing and court vision is possibly his best attribute. It was also Magic Johnson's best attribute, hence the name Magic, however, Magic was not passing the ball if the game was on the line. He was taking the shot, even if it meant throwing up a hook shot from the free throw line, something that is definitely not in his repertoire.

Nye 1.0! said...

Hold on a damn minute now. I thought he was Magic because he got HIV and has never gotten AIDS?






Lord i apologize to you and all the starving pygmys in New Guinea for that right there.

Ryan said...

haha, priceless