Sunday, March 05, 2006

Everyone's gonna hate me for this one

There are plenty of good rivalries in sports, there's no doubt about that. A pretty good amount of these rivalries are the sort that you love 1 team and hate the other, which is what makes a good rivalry. I think you probably see where this is going... Here's the thing, Duke/UNC is hands-down the best rivalry in college basketball, which puts it high in the running for best rivalry period. And I don't hate either team. I remember about 5 years ago rooting for UNC just because they were hot and I didn't really like Shane Battier's groovy head. Then like 2 years ago when UNC won at Duke in a last second scramble for the ball, I think the score might have been 80-77, but I was pulling for Duke hard that game. Last year I was all for Duke because I hate(d) Sean May. Dean Smith, Roy Williams, That other Guy who coached NC...Matt Doherty? I have no idea, that was the first name that came to mind, anyway, those are all excellent coaches, and on the other side is Coach K. Needless to say, that guy is an incredible college basketball coach. The team philosophy he's put into place over the last 20 years is absolutely outstanding - no doubt about it. Similarly, Williams has done one hell of a job with UNC after losing all those douches from last year.
That said, I was rooting for Duke this game from the start. Granted that I wanted NC to come back a little when they were down big early, but I just wanted a good game. So it was close for a while, and I was happy, and Tyler Hansbrough and Shelden Williams going back and forth was probably the coolest thing I've seen in basketball in a while. Furthermore, JJ really is chokin on it lately, zoiks. I gotta support him since he's been so good for all this time, but at the same time...he's chokin on it hard. But anyway, the game started to get out of hand in NC's favor, Nelson hits a couple big threes, split up by the crazy falling down act of Melchionni (who is a douche, by the way) who managed to get an assist in the midst of that whole fiasco. Anyway, it got close, NC won, and I was a little disappointed. However, and here's the part that's gonna piss people off, it was nice to see NC win given the circumstances. The reasons are as follows: not to be a dick, but they hadn't won in a while, so it was good to see them get one again. Next is that they were the underdog, and who doesn't love a good underdog? Next is that I just wish Coach K would learn that DeMarcus Nelson should be starting over The Human Turnover* Greg Paulus. That guy sucks so badly. There was a point in this game where I said aloud "This asshole is gonna go down and turn it over and UNC's gonna get the momentum and score" or something to that effect. No more than 12 seconds later, Paulus traveled...douche. There were other times that I was thinking it, and it happened, but those don't count since I can't prove it.
Anyway, bottom line is that Paulus is a fag, I don't like Melchionni, and I'm still a bit bitter that Paulus didn't go to Notre Dame to play football, but I still wanted Duke to win I guess.
But yeah, I'm really glad it was a good game, but I can't promise that I'll be rooting for Duke again next year, since Paulus will be anchoring the team from the guard position.
I'm tired, so as always, Go Browns, Tribe, and Cavs!

*= The Human Turnover nickname was borrowed from Pat McDonald's days on the West Geauga basketball team.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Greg Paulus will be the sole reason for Duke's dislodgment from the NCAA tournament.

Nye 1.0! said...

Couple quick thoughts. I totally agree thats its the best rivalry in College Basketball. As for the all of sports, i dont think so. Clearly you havent heard the story of how Chuck Norris single handedly defeated the New York Yankees. Or Perhaps about how Chuck Norris and 3 first grade girls beat the NY Rangers at hockey. If its posted on the internet it must be true right? Check for yourself at www.chucknorrisfacts.com.